What do I need to do to become a Catechist?
Catechist Application: All St. Joseph Catechists need to complete the new catechist application. If you have not completed it (since June 2014), please download, print, complete, sign and turn it in to the Director of Faith formation as soon as possible.
The Ministry of the Catechist involves a sharing in the teaching ministry of the Church, joining with the Chief Catechist of the local Church:
In the Diocese, catechesis is a unique service performed jointly by priests, deacons, religious and laity, in communion with the Bishop. (GDC 219)
The Bishops are, beyond all others, the ones primarily responsible for catechesis and catechists par excellence. (GDC 222)
We invite you to use the links below to find out more about being a Catechist in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles including the steps to becoming a Certified and Master Catechist.
What is a catechist? and answers to other important questions.At St. Joseph, we require all Catechists who work with children to complete the following:
All Catechists must complete the catechist application, print it out and then sign all copies and bring it in to the Director of Faith Formation. You will be interviewed by the Director, then asked to complete the Virtus requirements, and be fingerprinted by the Archdiocese. It is our desire that all catechists eventually be Certified. (Becoming a Certified Catechist)
- All Catechists must be Virtus Trained – Please check www.virtus.org for a Protecting God’s Children Class, or let the Director know you want to be a Catechist and see if we will be offering one at St. Joseph.
- You will also need to be fingerprinted. You can find the Archdiocese Fingerprinting Schedules on the L.A. Archdiocese Website.
- All Catechist must continue to learn about their faith. Here are some links to programs that will help you achieve that:
- San Pedro Regional Congress – Saturday, October 5, 2019 – St. Joseph High School – Lakewood, CA
- RE Congress – March 22-24, 2019 – Anaheim Convention Center
- Dive-In South Bay – March 11-21, 2019 – Various South Bay Parishes
- Dive-In Long Beach – Wednesday Nights – March 13-April 10, 2019 – St. Joseph Parish
- Creative Ways to share Gods amazing love and mercy notes – Presentation
- Icebreakers and games for Elementary